A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Tuesday 29 December 2020

New Camera Course

 

So have made a tentative start on the above training having registered for free some time before Christmas. Built around the Canon EOS DSLRs some parts are pretty basic, but hey it's free and helps to keep me occupied over my Chrimbo break - especially as I can't exactly get out much right now.

Hoping to pick up a few gems along the way and may well pay for a year subscription to the follow on course. Not least because they do a whole module on flash photography - something I'd like to be better at and more confident with using external/wireless flash. Got a DVD on the subject from when the EOS shop was having a sale on their training DVDs and have watched parts of it already. It still sometimes seems like a black art even with my new fangled AI flash which I treated myself to last winter.

It also helps to plug the gap left behind by the fact that as most of us now work from home we are unable to hold our monthly camera club meets at work. We've had the odd social Zoom call but that isn't the same, especially as we'd had a new drip controller to play with early last year and I'm guessing it has been mothballed back into it's box for the foreseeable. The most we achieved last year was a brief session playing with the pixel stick and catching up with our best images taken in the previous year! Gonna miss that this January - although suspect many will have found it hard to keep their photographic hands on given the subjects they like to shoot. Although there were the odd social distanced model shoots going on and some travel during the middle part of the year. Even with my penchant of shooting table-top subjects and records of my walks around where I live and the changing of the seasons as my walks stretched well into the year, I have struggled at times to keep the mojo flowing. My usual haunts were either closed or involved using public transport, something I wasn't too enamoured with doing until things settled briefly in the summer months and I certainly don't want to be bussing anywhere right now 😨

So sitting at the laptop, in the warm and dry with a cup of coffee to hand isn't a bad way to still enjoy some photography!

No comments: