A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Wednesday 3 March 2021

Woodland Walk


So this Saturday Tedster and I headed along to Hurstwood Woods with the M50 in hand to take some snaps. A nice sunny, bright day and whilst it was reasonably busy with families, dog walkers and the odd cyclist there was plenty of space for everyone.

This photo is of a higher path that I reached by going up some steps in the bank just as you start to move from the field area into the woodland proper. Been experimenting in Lightroom (LR) with some profiles and other basic settings to try and create some sort of style. Also watched a really good video on YouTube which explains the use of the calibration panel to add "magic" to one's images.

Now I have used the calibration panel before in conjunction with the HSL panel to replicate the channel swapping for faux colour infrared photos taken on my converted compacts. But even then most of the desired effect has been garnered more by judicious tweaking than any profound knowledge of how calibration works on the colours within an image. However this little trick certainly seems to add a little something. Overall, at the moment, I quite like the combination I have created and indeed used it for the day's editing. It's trying to find something to help link one's images together, make them more cohesive. 

I love the idea of the cinematic grading, especially the teal/orange combination, but trying to make something like that work all the time is quite hard. And I guess the downside to a "style" of editing is that it then limits one's creativity. I have several presets within LR that I love to use and wonder if they will still work with what I have generated so far? Certainly from a purely software point of view there is no reason why not, LR profiles are separate to the sliders and so layering presets on top isn't a problem. No the question is more whether it will work from an aesthetic point of view? Probably only one way to find out...

But best left to my long weekends. Sat up too late last night playing around and woke up feeling weary ;-)

No comments: