A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Sunday 18 October 2020

Drip Photography


Been having a play with some drip photography today, trying to follow the instructions from a magazine article. Now I knew it wouldn't be easy but wow it's hard to get the timing right! More off target than on it. To start with the settings they recommended just gave me a black image, thought I'd be clever and fire my off-camera flash from the built-in flash on the 77D in Easy Wireless mode. Whilst I thought the flash was firing, now I'm not so sure. Fiddled around for ages trying to get something and then once I had I was up against the clock because I suspect the safety pin I used to make the hole in the bag of water was actually too thick and it achieved more of a constant dribble than a drip and so my already 2/3rds full tray started to fill up somewhat rapidly! Ended up having to bail it out into an old washing up bowl because I thought there's no way I'm going to be able to carry that into the bathroom without spilling it everywhere!

In the end, using just the built-in flash, I bagged a few good ones, or what I think are good ones anyway, where you can actually see the drips rather than just the left over ripples of water ;-) No wonder companies make and sell drip controllers - you definitely need to find the right momentum which is not what you are actually seeing but the space/time in between, because by the time you've seen it, the camera is too late. Camera club acquired a drip controller just before we went into Lockdown so we've not had a chance to try it out, gotta be easier than by hand that's for sure! Ages ago we did some splash photography, throwing water at a wine glass and trying to capture the water movement with off-camera flash. Even that is very much based on timing and again you end up with more rejects than keepers! Whiles away a Sunday afternoon though :-)

No comments: