A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Sunday 28 March 2010

Router Nightmare

Hey, after having our old Netgear router die on us after several years of faithful service, I'm now on my third wireless modem/router trying to find one that works. Nothing in my setup has changed since the old router died and yet the last two modem/routers I've purchased have consistently lost the ADSL connection all throughout the evening time which is usually when we use it the most. I've tried all sorts of things to try and get to the bottom of it, even connecting my Dad's wired router which worked like a dream but which then means Julia cant use her laptop wherever she pleases around the house. So in desperation I ordered a Netgear DG834G wireless router via PC Worlds collect@store and boxed the other one back up in the hope I could persuade them to exchange one for the other. Fortunately they took pity on me and I came away with yet another router to try and £20 refunded on the flexible friend. I'm pleased to say that at present this router seems to be performing very much like the old one, that's not to say that it's as stable as my Dad's wired one but then I guess it wont be what with wireless interference but it has been up for just over a day so far with no obvious problems. I've checked using Julia's laptop which other wireless networks are within our vicinity and made sure ours is on a different channel to help limit any cross-signalling.

Anyway I'm hoping this will be third time lucky for us, I cant believe how lost we felt without proper access to the net when and where we wanted to use it. Says alot about our society these days doesn't it? Just about everything we do revolves around it in one form or another, from ordering our groceries to banking to staying in touch with friends and family - where would we be without it!

No comments: