A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Friday 22 April 2022

Bluebells @ Ranscombe

 


So this Off Friday saw me & Dad go back to Ranscombe to try and park in the small car park and head off in search of Bluebells. Despite it being a working day for most people the little car park was still full so this time we used his sat nav to take us to the alternate entrance in Albatross Ave.

A walk through the underpass and over the railway bridge and we were on the nature reserve grounds, but a while away from any decent swathes of bluebells it seems.

We did see a few here and there, hence the image above, but hoping that 3rd time is lucky and we'll perhaps try a Friday morning rather than mid-afternoon. Where we went in before, just over a year ago yielded a good crop of flowers and not far off the pathways, so a crouch down on the path led to the usual "sea" of blue.

I love these delicate blooms which are a far cry from the more traditional Spanish Bluebells we see in our gardens at this time of year. Along with the wild Primroses and Cowslips they are pretty spectacular. I hear there are some within Walderslade Woods which is again pretty much on the doorstep so that might also be a fruitful place to try. At this rate we are going to run out of Fridays before these flowers start to die off!


Oil Paint Filter in Photoshop

So this is a quick edit in Photoshop to apply the Oil Paint filter at its default setting, twice, to get this somewhat painterly effect. I love this filter but don't use it very often, usually it's almost always reserved for these Bluebell images because I never seem to think about using it on anything else ;-)

This was about as close as we came to a "carpet" of flowers and even this was a zoom in from the pathway and not the cleanest of sights through to the Bluebells. Still I quite like the balance of it. One has to take ones opportunities where one can find them. As amateurs we're not paid to keep trying until we "bag the shot" :-)

No comments: