A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Sunday 2 April 2023

A Busy Weekend!


So this weekend has been busy, mainly in the garden, completing the edging and planting new plants.

Friday was a total washout weather wise and so didn't manage to achieve much but Saturday saw some reprieve from the rain and today (Sunday) was sunny albeit a tad chilly at times.

This collage shows the propped up daffs which were starting to list/flop quite badly due to the windy weather. Three canes and some garden wire looped around the canes provides a much needed limit to their movement.

Dad came by and helped, well mainly did, the edging along the end of the lawn in front of the garage. Muggins here managed to snap off the last stake and so today he managed, with quite a bit of faff, to remove the remaining piece of stake and fit a metal replacement. Going to be buying some purple slate to cover the dirt and also top up the garden above where the pond used to be. That already has the slate and could do with some more to fill in the gaps. Probably need to measure up the areas in order to assess how much I need to buy.

Planted the old pinks (dianthus Oscar) in the top part of the garden which freed up the pot to replant the new one (Cottage Pinks) so it sits properly in the metal tub which hangs on the wall by Mum's sewing machine - looks good to see some colour just outside my window. This new one is a really pretty, paler pink than Oscar.

The middle decorated pot was a donation from Dad, one he no longer has a use for. I've used a shallow dish and some oasis to support/fill the dish so that it rests just inside and then added multi-coloured glass nuggets to those from the old pot which I was using and which was badly cracked. So badly in fact that when I picked it up to try and tip the nuggets into the new pot it shattered in my hands! The stone & stake solar lights complete the pot. The right hand image is the new lavender, planted to replace an old Hebe which up'd and died over the winter. Managed, along with Dad's help, to get the old root out and then planted the lavender and the few uprooted bluebells after he'd gone.

Sunday saw Dad back again with a couple of Hellebores that he was looking to offload, they spread quite readily and he'd got too many now, so I said a couple would fill the gap left by the sedum which I dug out the other week, mainly because it's not producing the bracts in the Autumn/Winter properly and when they grow up all the leaves drop off - which for an evergreen isn't right!

So these are one of each colour of the Hellebores, they all seem to be either a white or pink/purple colour and these should eventually spread out a bit to further close the gap.

It's been a very productive weekend and the garden is almost where I'd like it to be, for now. I posted a video to Facebook of the evolution of my garden. Mainly because a colleague remarked about how "Mediterranean" it looked last summer when it was too hot to do much and I languished on the decking! I said the video shows how sometimes it's looked more like a jungle!



This for example...

Or this 🤣

Each shows how obtrusive the laurels grew to be before they were tamed back to the point they are now.

This was last summer, post their trim and reshape and with the furniture out on the decking. I can't believe how much use it got last summer, me not really being an outdoorsy type!

I'm aiming to keep the laurels regularly trimmed by a local chap who really knows his stuff, that way they provide a focal point and shade without becoming a dense nuisance.

Of course the biggest makeover last year was the garage roof replacement and subsequent removal of the old shed. I'd begun to realise what an eyesore it had become and it was time for it to go. The new garage roof, being light in colour, floods the garden with light and has opened up the whole space really well.

Next weekend might involve further garden shenanigans but at my daughter and son-in-law's house - they are just revamping their garden space and we've all volunteered to lend a hand, or two! Especially as it's the Easter weekend.


No comments: