A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Friday 21 January 2022

Still Life with the TG-6

 

So spent today in the studio playing with some still life items and the TG-6 camera, utilising the microscope mode and built-in focus stacking.

Dug out the Chinese lantern casing and the dandelion clock seed head in the first instance and played around with these on some contrasting coloured card. The focus stacking in particular works really well depending on the subject and how close you are to it - there is a limit on depth of field achieved when you are really close.

Moved on to some "berries" from my stash that look like they have been sprayed with water - then an iridescent present bow, a small Christmas type floral piece with gold pine cones and then some feather decorations.

Really pleased with the results, all hand-held. And whilst the microscope control mode defaults to a 3:2 aspect ratio the others allow whatever you want, in my case it's usually 16:9 to facilitate slideshows.

And inspecting the difference between the microscope and microscope control mode, the only difference that I can see is that one allows for some further digital zooming - something that has never been desirable in my book. Better done with cropping during the edit phase.

But it's whiled away the day, shooting and editing ;-) Plus allows me to learn another aspect of the camera for future days out with it. Gotta say that despite my initial reticence in purchasing it, it's proved to be a good buy so far and I've not even taken it out in the rain yet 🤣

No comments: