A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Monday 2 May 2022

Arty Bluebells

 

This is another attempt at using the Topaz Buzz filter with some sort of underpainting with the find edges filter applied in Photoshop to give some sort of outline. Quite like the effect but failed to remember quite what option I used the other day in the Topaz Filter to get the other watercolour effect. White border added and some text.

Whilst I use Lightroom most prolifically, edits like this remind me of just how arty one can be outside of Lightroom. I can make a lot of interesting edits from within Lightroom  and I'm often astounded just how much artistic license it allows for given you have no access to the pixel level of an image. I like how all edits are non-destructive and you can return to an image and continue to make tweaks at any time. The original is always there and virtual copies allow for seamless different edits of just a single image without incurring lots of copies - the downside to nipping into Photoshop from Lightroom is that large TIF files are created.

But when you want to get really creative you can't beat the power of Photoshop. As a regular monthly subscriber I have access to both programs and regular updates keep them current. Sometimes I forget just how fun using Photoshop can be and the Topaz Buzz Filter especially.

I came across this particular filter years ago as a freebie from a magazine. Kept it going on various new PC's for many years until a flavour of Windows came along with which it was incompatible. Topaz Buzz Filter provides an easier interface (?) and lots of different presets which is where I usually start and finish. There are a myriad of sliders and stuff allowing endless tweaking but I tend to pick a preset and leave it at the defaults. Given I'm no artist and many painterly techniques rely on "painting" on to the image I find these sorts of plug-ins quite helpful to obtain an arty effect without having to have the knowledge of brush strokes etc.

Anyways, my Bank Holiday weekend is almost over and it's back to the home office tomorrow.

No comments: