A Quick Word From Yours Truly


Hi, welcome to PJ's blog.

If you've checked out the "About Me" bit you'll see I'm a keen amateur photographer who enjoys all things digital. I mostly like photographing plants and landscapes as they are easy targets ;-) I used to work in Software which sounds more exciting than it is but am now officially a Snr. Project Planner having changed jobs after almost 25yrs in Software. I sometimes wish I could work in photography but that would probably become boring if I did it day in and day out. I used to sponsor a wolf called Luna until she sadly passed away, and love all things "wolfy". Anyhow enjoy the blog and hopefully I'll manage to keep it up to date with what I've been doing and my favourite things!

PJ

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Appraisals, love 'em or hate 'em?

Appraisals, performance reviews, call them what you like, everyone has an opinion on whether they are worthwhile or not. Brought into companies as part of the investors in people scheme which seems to have been created to give employees a warm fuzzy feeling that their welfare is important, the appraisal is either friend or foe. I probably had my first review back in the dim and distant late eighties, early nineties and I failed to find them useful then. They were few and far between and seemed like a tick in the box affair and to my mind nothing has changed since apart from them being more prolific now than ever. For those people who have a career path in mind and want to plot progress and need training and perhaps mentoring and support to get there then they certainly have value. But I'm one of a number of people who just want to do their job with the minimum of fuss, and collect their monthly pay check. How can generating objectives and training for the sake of filling these things in really help me to do my job better? Trouble is they seem to be here to stay so unless I wanna get all stressed out about it then I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and accept that they are part of my working environment. Not an easy task for the non believer in me ;-)

No comments: